In the first part of my men’s hair loss series, we spoke to Dr Israr Wong, Medical Director of KAE Clinic Medical Aesthetics, an expert in the field of hair loss treatment who shared with us some important facts about Androgenetic Alopecia (aka Male Pattern Hair Loss), let us now continue to explore what are the various types of treatment available for this condition that affects so many men.

HSD: Dr Wong, so what are the various some effective treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia (aka Male Pattern Hair Loss)

DR WONG: Before talking about the treatments, I want to touch on a few basic principles of treatment. If there is hair loss of the front hairline or / and the temple area, Hair Transplant is the ONLY method that is proven to work to regain hair in that area. Even Propecia tablets are unable to restore hair at those areas. However, Male Pattern Hair Loss not involving the front hairline or the temple areas will do well with the below treatments.

Propecia 1mg / day – It is to be taken 1 tablet a day. It can be taken either in the morning or at night, according to patient preference, as long as it is the same timing daily. There is a 2 percent chance of side effects like decreased libido, decreased sperm count which is temporary and goes away once the medication is stopped (if one does have the side effects). This means that 98% of patients who take Propecia DO NOT have those side effects. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT treatment in Androgenetic Alopecia as Propecia blocks the formation of DHT ( the main culprit by-hormone of Male Pattern Hair Loss). The importance of this medication cannot be over-emphasized enough. 

Minoxidil lotion (5%) – to be applied two times a day at home, around 6 pumps over the thinning areas. It is important to massage this lotion into the scalp. Do not overspray it or there will be side effects of scalp oiliness.

Hair Regrowth Treatment (from Seoul) – This highly effective treatment for the scalp needs to be done weekly for the first 10 weeks, and then subsequently tapered off. Maintenance of hair growth even when hair has regrown, is recommended at once a month.

Hair Regrowth Laser – Wear the laser helmet 3 times a week, 20 minutes each time at home or work. Read more about the laser here.

Hair Transplant – Hair Transplant is the ONLY proven treatment for hair loss at the front hairline and the temples. It can also be important for other areas if the non-surgical methods have failed.

Hair Growth Supplements – It is important to take these supplements during the treatment regime so that there are enough vitamins and anti-oxidants and growth-promoting nutrients in your body, to support the expected demand by the growing hair follicles.

Hair Loss in Males is highly treatable with good results at KAE Clinic with Dr Israr KJ Wong. Remember, hair loss over the front hairline and the temples is ONLY effectively treated by HAIR TRANSPLANTATION. Hair loss over the vertex ( crown area) can be remedied by hair regrowth treatments and topical treatment.

HSD:  How about treatments at those triochologists who advertise heavily on TV. What are the differences between doctor treatments and treatments at these trichologists?

DR WONG: Doctor treatments for hair loss are proven by scientific studies to work for hair loss, which means that the results are usually guaranteed by performing doctor treatments. Results of trichologist treatments are usually not proven by rigorous clinical scientific studies.

HSD: How soon can one expect to see results?

DR WONG: Results will be obvious usually from the 2nd to 3rd month of treatment, however, the whole treatment regime prescribed by the doctor must be strictly followed.



About Dr Israr Wong Kai Jie

Dr Israr Wong Kai Jie is the Medical Director of KAE Clinic Medical Aesthetics. He was conferred the Certificate of Aesthetic Medicine and the Masters of Hair Transplantation from the American Academy of Aesthetic Medicine (AAAM), the Certificate of Hair Transplantation from Maxwell Hair Clinic of Gangnam, Seoul, and Certificates of Competence for general aesthetics issued by the Aesthetic Practice Oversight Committee of Singapore. 

Dr Israr KJ Wong offers all-rounded expertise ranging from injectables (Botox, Fillers), chemicals and light rejuvenation of the skin (Super Skin Rejuvenation), skin lasers (Pixel™ Pro, Korean pigment laser), focused ultrasound facelift technology (Ulthera™) , Super Hair Removal (SHR™) and both surgical/non-surgical options of hair loss.

Dr Israr KJ Wong is also the aesthetic expert for the His Style Diary’s Grooming/Aesthetics section.

“It is not enough for your doctor to offer the science of medical aesthetics, he must deliver the art as well. “ – Dr Israr KJ Wong
Visit KAE Clinic Medical Aesthetics at 9 Penang Road, Park Mall #07-19 Singapore 238459